Sunday, January 9, 2011

Recipe of the Week

At least I'll try to post one weekly! So I didn't gain all this weight totally from fast food. I LOVE to cook. Not so much baking (way too much measuring and exactness for me), but good old-fashioned cooking. I mostly try out my recipes on Sunday's because that's when I have the most time. I can start out early so that if I screw up Jason (my husband) has time to run out and buy us dinner. I made the following chicken recipe for dinner tonight — and rather liked it. A little too much cumin for my taste ... thought it took away from the lime taste. Tonight's recipe is from the magazine Cooking Light:

Chicken Thighs with Garlic and Lime

1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
4 (6 oz.) chicken thighs, skinned
3 tablespoons fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 lime wedges

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine first five ingredients in a small bowl; stir in 1 tablespoon juice. Rub garlic mixture over chicken. Place chicken in a medium skillet.

3. Combine 1 tablespoon juice, chicken broth, and vinegar; pour over the chicken. Place over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Wrap handle of pan with foil. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 180 degrees.

4. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Place pan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 3 minutes). Spoon over chicken. Sprinkle with cilantro, and serve with lime wedges.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 2 thighs and 2 tablespoons sauce).  WW Points: 4 points

CALORIES 326; FAT 10.4g (sat. 2.6g, mono. 3.3g, poly. 2.6g); PROTEIN 51.1g; CARB 4.8g;
FIBER 0.5g; CHOL 212mg; IRON 4 mg; SODIUM 517mg; CALC 59mg

I'll try to be more photogenic with better presentation next time!

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you, Alphabet! (I've become such a blog-lurker since my cousin started one about 2 years ago and I think your idea is FANTASTIC! Put it out here and it makes you accountable. LOVE IT!)

    I do actually have a question for you, however. In your experience does WW work for you better because of the program or because of the affordability?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin!!! I'm actually having a lot of fun with it.

    In my experience (sad to say I've had many). It's both. I really enjoy eating real food, and for me it is the one of the most affordable. It's only $10 a week and I would spend more than that on fast food lunches.

    ReplyDelete